Uptown food vendors can’t stay open past midnight — for now. Here’s why
3 mins read

Uptown food vendors can’t stay open past midnight — for now. Here’s why

The City of Charlotte has temporarily restricted food vendors in uptown from operating after midnight, citing an increase in late-night violence in the area.

Read more Bryce Young-TMac connection comes alive in Carolina Panthers practice with Jags

The timing of the change is unclear, but the move sparked a petition calling on the city to preserve late-night food service, particularly at Halal Food Cart.

The mobile vendor previously served customers until 3 a.m. on weekdays and 4 a.m. on weekends. The petition says the food cart is an important resource for rideshare and taxi drivers, security guards, first responders, hospital workers and others who rely on affordable food options after most restaurants have closed.

Charlotte City Council member Joi Mayo said in a written response to the petition that the restriction is part of the uptown vendor program, which is managed by Charlotte Center City Partners in coordination with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.

Mayo said the temporary change was made in response to an increase in late-night violence, “much of which has occurred after bars close.” The goal, she said, is to improve public safety while CMPD works to address the issue.

Halal Food Cart did not respond to requests for comment from CharlotteFive by the time of publication.

According to the petition, Halal Food Cart has worked with CMPD and followed city requests, including curfews when asked. The petition also says that cutting the business’s hours would hurt its employees and people who rely on late-night food in uptown.

“It sends a message that the City is restricting small businesses instead of supporting them,” the petition reads.

Read more Banking giant SMBC ramps up Charlotte hiring, details how it plans to compete

But Mayo said the rule is temporary.

Charlotte Center City Partners is reviewing the uptown vendor program and considering ways to update its rules, Mayo said. City officials and CMPD will also continue to monitor nightlife and public safety before deciding on long-term rules for vendors.

“Late-night food vendors play an important role in uptown,” Mayo said, adding that they support small businesses and provide affordable food for residents and visitors.

Charlotte Center City Partners said the vendor program is intended to incubate small businesses, provide affordable food options and activate uptown streets, creating “enhanced vibrancy” during the day and evening.

“We are currently reimagining the program to modernize it and its footprint,” Michael J. Smith, CEO of Charlotte Center City Partners, said in an emailed statement to CharlotteFive.

Smith said the organization temporarily restricted service for all vendors in the program after midnight at the request of CMPD.

“CMPD is working hard to support vibrancy in Uptown and South End,” Smith said. “Over the last six-nine months, crime stats in the Center City have been going down overall, and we are seeing double-digit drops in violent crime.”

Read more Mecklenburg sheriff sued by ex-officer over sexual harassment, retaliation claims

City officials have not announced when the restriction will be lifted.

This story was originally published August 19, 2026 at 12:36 PM.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *