‘Multiple’ deaths reported at scene of ‘mass shooting’ in NC, SBI says
Multiple deaths have been reported at the scene of a “mass shooting” in Caswell County along the Virginia state line, according to the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation.
Read more $1 million prize is North Carolina man’s second lottery jackpot win in 4 months
“The event” happened around 8 a.m. Wednesday at a rural home in the Prospect Hill community, about a 50-mile drive northwest from downtown Raleigh, officials said.
“Deputies arriving on scene found multiple people who had been shot. One person was transported to Duke University Hospital with a gunshot wound, and there are multiple other fatalities,” the SBI said in a news release.
“The Caswell County Sheriff’s Office is working to notify next of kin. There is no threat to the general public, and the event is contained to the above address.”
Read more NC moves to stabilize troubled Anson County elections office ahead of midterms
Investigators have not said how many people were involved in the incident, or if a suspect is in custody.
The shootings happened at 352 Brooks Road, a two-story home surrounded by forest and farm land, maps show.
Read more Lake Norman sewage spill prompts no-swim advisory. Here’s the cause.