CMS superintendent ‘confident’ her 2-month leave won’t affect back-to-school
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Superintendent Crystal Hill says she’s “100% confident” the district is prepared for the first day of school despite her two months on paid leave this summer.
Read more Hayden Panettiere Experienced ‘Severe’ Back Pain Before Death, Friend Says
CMS leaders held a back-to-school media briefing Tuesday afternoon where Hill made her first public appearance since the CMS school board voted to restore her as superintendent one week ago. The board previously placed Hill on paid leave June 17 while it investigated “matters involving administrative and operational oversight,” it said in a statement.
The hiatus will not impact the district’s operations as students return to school next week, Hill said Tuesday.
“We’re always prepared at least 3 or 6 months ahead,” she said. “I feel completely 100% confident that we are ready on the first day of school just as we were last year.”
CMS staff told reporters Hill would not answer questions related to the board investigation Tuesday.
“I completely appreciate and understand your frustration,” Hill said. “Today, we really wanted the focus to be on the opening of school.”
Hill told reporters after the meeting that there will be “an opportunity for more information to be shared” regarding the investigation “sooner rather than later.” She didn’t say when that would be.
CMS board members have remained hush about the investigation’s causes and findings, often citing North Carolina law that restricts the disclosure of certain personnel records.
Read more Will Crystal Hill probe affect CMS budget? Mecklenburg manager answers
“The review identified issues that will require ongoing attention as it relates to leadership and operational practices,” CMS Board Chair Stephanie Sneed said last week. “We will address these issues directly with Dr. Hill.”
Several board members attended Tuesday’s briefing but did not answer questions about the investigation.
The board has not disclosed the specific causes or findings of the probe, but Charlotte Observer news partner WSOC-TV previously reported the investigation was triggered by contracts with some of Hill’s former colleagues. The Observer determined those contracts totaled more than $1.7 million over three years.
Hill and her staff gave several updates on matters like staffing and policy ahead of school starting Aug. 25.
The district currently has 161 teacher vacancies, around 50 fewer than it did this time last year. It also has 98 bus driver vacancies. However, CMS Chief Operations Officer Tim Ivey said he “does not anticipate any disruptions” due to those openings.
Students must be registered for school by Saturday if families wish to use district transportation on the first day.
Chief Academic Performance Officer Kimberly Vaught said the district is rolling out several student-technology-related reforms, including prohibiting independent YouTube access in grades K-2 and only using technology in those grades “when truly needed for students’ learning.”
Read more Man tracked ‘high-profile’ deaths, led him to theft Greg Biffle’s Lake Norman home