A curfew on late night bites + new restaurants coming to a space near you
5 mins read

A curfew on late night bites + new restaurants coming to a space near you

Charlotte’s food scene has plenty to chew on this week, from new late-night rules for uptown vendors to a $2-million flagship taco spot in the works.

Read more Charlotte renters need nearly 4 times minimum wage, new report finds

If you missed today’s CharlotteFive newsletter, here’s a quick rundown of what’s opening, what’s expanding and where to get free doughnuts.

Late-night uptown eats are on pause. 🚧

Charlotte city officials have temporarily restricted uptown food vendors from operating after midnight, citing an increase in late-night violence. That means Halal Food Cart — which previously served customers until 3 a.m. on weekdays and 4 a.m. on weekends — is off the menu after hours.

A petition is circulating asking the city to preserve late-night service, arguing the cart is essential for rideshare drivers, security guards, hospital workers and first responders. But Charlotte City Council member Joi Mayo said the restriction is temporary and will be reconsidered as CMPD works through the public safety issues.📍 Halal Food Cart, 101 N. Tryon St., Charlotte

👉 Go deeper with Evan’s story.

Que Onda Tacos & Tequila is going big. Really big. 🍹

The Charlotte-based Mexican cantina from Qué Hospitality is building a $2-million flagship restaurant in Montford Park, slated to open by February. This will be Que Onda’s sixth spot — joining locations in uptown, Plaza Midwood, University City, Matthews and Huntersville — and it’s shaping up to be the crown jewel of the brand.

“While we have executed a ground-up build before for the latest Que Fresa, doing this for Que Onda is a major milestone for the brand,” CEO Manny Flores said in a news release. “Montford Park is one of Charlotte’s best dining corridors, and we are building a custom flagship restaurant that matches that energy.”

The Montford Park spot will serve lunch, dinner and weekend brunch, plus a happy hour menu. Que Onda fans already know the drill: tacos, tortas, enchiladas and boozy Mexican brunch. In 2023, CharlotteFive readers voted Que Onda runner-up for best tacos in the city (sister concept Que Fresa Taqueria & Bar took the top spot).📍 1515 Mockingbird Lane, Charlotte, NC 28209

👉 Tanasia tells you everything you need to know.

Sol’ Delish is crossing the state line. 🎉

The soul food favorite’s new express location 📍 400 N. Dobys Bridge Road, Fort Mill, S.C., should open by October in the former Sweet Dough space. Chef and co-owner Latell Brice told The Herald that the new shopping center spot will mirror the existing takeout location on North Tryon Street.

“Southern cuisine, seafood, all that stuff,” Brice said.

The menu hits all the comfort notes: turkey and chicken wings, crab cakes, ribeye, seafood mac and cheese, fried or grilled shrimp and fish, burgers, salads and nearly a dozen sides including cornbread, greens and candied yams. For dessert? Sweet potato pie, five flavors of pound cake, cheesecake peach cobbler and banana pudding. 🥧

Read more Will NC get snow this winter? Here’s the Old Farmer’s Almanac forecast

👉 Read John’s full story for more.

Croissant lovers, cookie fanatics and cake devotees — this one’s for you. 🍰

The CharlotteFive Readers’ Choice poll for best bakery has moved to the Top 20, and now it’s your turn to pick the Top 10 from there. Voting in Round 2 runs through noon Friday with a new bracket dropping every couple of days afterward. You can vote as many times as you want. (Yes, really — it’s not a scientific poll.)

The Top 20 includes heavy hitters like Amélie’s French Bakery & Café, Manolo’s Bakery, Suarez Bakery and Villani’s Bakery along with buzzier picks like Mado Paris French Bakery & Cafe, Rooted Bakery, Virtuoso Breadworks and The Batchmaker.

👉 Cast your vote in Heidi’s poll.

Yes, this is real. ⚡

On Saturday, anyone wearing Pokémon attire can score a free original glazed doughnut at participating Krispy Kreme locations nationwide. No purchase required. One free doughnut per person. Break out the Pikachu T-shirt, the Poké Ball hoodie, whatever’s in the closet.

The Charlotte-based chain is celebrating 30 years of Pokémon with a limited-time Pokémon Doughnut Collection that dropped Tuesday, featuring five doughnut creations inspired by the video game and TV anime series (both launched in 1996 and 1997). The collection also includes a special Poké Ball Doughnut — glazed and dipped in vanilla icing, topped with red sprinkles and piped with chocolate icing. 🔴⚪

👉 Get the scoop from Tanasia.

The CharlotteFive newsletter lands in your inbox every day with the best food, things to do and lifestyle news across the Queen City — no endless scrolling required. Sign up here for free.

Keep up with what’s new, what’s opening and what to eat: @cltfive on Instagram, @cltfive on Threads, @cltfive on TikTok and @charlottefive.com on Bluesky. 💙

This report was produced with the assistance of a proprietary tool powered by artificial intelligence and using our own originally reported, written and published content. It was reviewed and edited by our journalists. To learn more about how The Charlotte Observer is using AI in our newsroom, see our policy here.

Read more Man was recorded trying to take a carnivorous Venus flytrap, NC police say

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *