Whatley’s transgender attack, YMCA sale: What got Charlotte talking Aug. 10-16
Charlotte Observer readers had a lot to say this week. From a heated U.S. Senate race to a jaw-dropping jump in foreclosures, here are the five stories that drew the most comments on our website between Aug. 10 and Aug. 16 — and what your neighbors are debating.
Read more Review: Mötley Crüe brought 1989 back to Charlotte. Not everything has aged well
U.S. Senate candidate Michael Whatley’s attack on a transgender teacher hired in a Wake County school lit up our comments section. Whatley took to social media to warn that such teachers would “indoctrinate North Carolina’s children” and characterized the teacher as a predator, though no one has accused the teacher of any wrongdoing.
Deputy Opinion Editor Paige Masten argued the rhetoric marks a hateful escalation from previous anti-trans arguments about sports and health care to suggesting transgender people should be barred from certain jobs entirely. Readers weighed in on whether Whatley’s approach reflects a losing campaign strategy or a winning one — and whether it crosses a line.
»» Read the story, see the comments
Sen. Thom Tillis announced a new book, “How to Lose Friends and Antagonize Presidents,” coming in October — just ahead of the midterms. The cover features portraits of Cabinet members Pete Hegseth, Kristi Noem and Robert F. Kennedy Jr., all of whom Tillis voted to confirm despite what critics call obvious red flags.
Masten wrote that Tillis continues to shield President Donald Trump from accountability even while criticizing “sycophants” and “spineless Republican yes-men.” In a recent TV appearance promoting the book, Tillis compared the president to a CEO who can’t be expected to have expertise in everything.
Commenters split over whether Tillis deserves credit for speaking up at all — or whether the book is too little, too late from a senator on his way out the door.
»» Read the story, see the comments
One of the week’s most-discussed stories hit close to home for many Charlotte-area residents. Foreclosure filings in the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia metro area jumped about 71% in the first half of 2026 compared with the same period last year, according to ATTOM data. Statewide, North Carolina recorded 8,429 properties with foreclosure filings — up nearly 47% from a year earlier.
Attorneys and housing advocates told the Observer that homeowners are being squeezed from several directions: job losses, medical setbacks, rising insurance premiums, property taxes and HOA fees. Older homeowners on fixed incomes are especially vulnerable.
“It’s something unexpected that causes an immediate financial distress that oftentimes can be fixed,” said Leah Kane, a senior attorney at Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy. “But then, if you’re three months or four months behind on your mortgage, that’s a huge bill. That starts spiraling.”
Readers shared their own stories and asked what can be done as pandemic-era assistance programs disappear.
Read more Darren Waller’s debut for Panthers is TBD. But how he feels? ‘Night and day’ from 2025
»» Read the story, see the comments
The $42.5 million sale of Morrison Family YMCA to Moments of Hope Church continues to generate heated debate. A letter to the editor from Charlotte reader Don Trone called the deal a “governance crisis” and urged donors to reconsider their giving to the Charlotte YMCA network until key documents are released.
Trone wrote that the YMCA Board of Directors approved the sale without releasing appraisals, alternatives analysis, conflict-of-interest disclosures, allocation of proceeds or board minutes. He urged major donors to contact North Carolina Attorney General Jeff Jackson and ask his office to pause the transaction until there’s full transparency.
Commenters — including longtime members and donors — debated whether the sale was a prudent decision or a liquidation of a community asset built through decades of memberships and volunteerism.
»» Read the story, see the comments
After Republicans replaced U.S. Rep. Chuck Edwards on the November ballot with state Rep. Jen Balkcom, contributing columnist Andrew Dunn asked the question on a lot of readers’ minds: Why is the race for western North Carolina’s 11th Congressional District still so competitive?
Dunn argued the trendy answer — changing demographics around Asheville — only goes so far. The leftward shift is concentrated in Buncombe and Henderson counties, but most counties west of Asheville remain overwhelmingly Republican. The deeper answer, he wrote, is that mountain voters have always been politically ornery, and Democratic challenger Jamie Ager has built his campaign around that independent streak.
Ager ended June with $2.1 million and national Democratic backing, while Balkcom has less than three months to make her case. Readers debated whether Balkcom’s roots in Henderson County and her legislative record — including sponsoring the Fairness in Women’s Sports law and chairing Helene recovery efforts — will be enough to hold the seat.
»» Read the story, see the comments
This report was produced with the assistance of a proprietary tool powered by artificial intelligence and using our own originally reported, written and published content. It was reviewed and edited by our journalists.
• • •
Join the conversation. Have thoughts on any of these stories? Your neighbors are already talking. Scroll to the bottom of local articles on charlotteobserver.com to share your perspective.
Read more Lake Norman 4-star QB Kaden Craft announces his college decision. Where he’s headed?