Charlotte isn’t letting up on its water restrictions yet as drought improves
2 mins read

Charlotte isn’t letting up on its water restrictions yet as drought improves

Charlotte will keep water restrictions in place for at least two more weeks, even as other North Carolina cities begin to let up under wetter conditions.

Read more NC House declines to advance hemp regulation bill amid dueling advocacy efforts

“Here at Charlotte Water, we’ve been keeping an eye on the weather, and we are encouraged by the recent rains,” spokesperson Jennifer Frost said in an email. “We know that the rain deficit has been really significant over many months, so it usually takes more than a few storms to get us back to normal.”

The city in May began limiting when residents can water their lawns and temporarily restricted their ability to fill swimming pools or wash their cars at home.

The measures intended to reduce water use across the area by at least 5-10% to make up for depleted water levels in the reservoirs that feed Charlotte taps. The restrictions succeeded, according to data on Charlotte Water’s drought dashboard. Water consumption was down 13.2% as of Friday.

Drought conditions in Mecklenburg County were among the worst in the state when Charlotte Water imposed the restrictions. Heavy rains have since moved the needle from extreme and exceptional drought conditions — the most serious of five classification levels — to a moderate drought, according to a U.S. Drought Monitor map released Thursday.

Read more Panthers WR Xavier Legette injured, carted off the field. What his coach said

Charlotte Water is a member of the local Drought Management Advisory Group and aligns restriction measures with the group’s guidance. The advisory group reviews data every other week to make decisions based on three triggers: current reservoir levels, the 6-month average amount of stream water flowing into reservoirs and the 3-month average US Drought Monitor conditions.

Raleigh meanwhile ended its water restrictions on Monday after several periods of heavy rain raised water levels in its local reservoirs to acceptable levels.

Gov. Josh Stein last week offered a cautious message to North Carolina. Although reservoir levels have risen, they’re still below where they should be this time of year.

“After a dry fall in 2025, North Carolina had a very dry start to 2026,” Stein said in a news release Thursday. “Although recent rainfall has made a dent in the problem, we’re not in the clear yet. I encourage North Carolinians to check their local water system’s conservation status and do their part to use water wisely.”

Read more Veteran Carolina Panthers lineman retires suddenly after preseason practice

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *