9 people shot in crowded banquet hall, including 4 teens, North Carolina police say
A 15-year-old was among nine people injured when a barrage of gunshots was fired through a crowded banquet hall in Greensboro, North Carolina, according to investigators.
Read more Dilworth residents remember a kind man without a home: ‘A gentle, smiling soul’
It happened around 1:50 a.m. Sunday at the Royal Banquet Hall, where police had been called hours earlier to investigate reports of underage drinking, Greenboro Police Department said in a news release.
“Several people called 911 dispatchers to report someone was shooting and that several victims had been shot inside the business,” police said in a news release.
“While officers were on scene, the department was notified that multiple victims with gunshot wounds had arrived at local hospitals. … All had arrived by private vehicle. It was determined that 9 victims had been struck by gunfire. This includes one 15-year-old and three 17-year-olds.”
First responders treated one person at the scene for a minor graze injury, officials said.
Read more Bristol Myers beats and raises, but Morgan Stanley sees $40
All the injured are expected to survive, police said.
Two males are in police custody, both found “in the area of the shooting,” officials say.
However, they have not been charged as detectives work to determine who was responsible for the shooting.
“GPD officers had responded to this same location at approximately 11:15 p.m. Saturday (Aug. 1) to reports of underage drinking, people reported to be armed with a weapon and the location being very crowded,” police said.
“Responding officers didn’t locate anyone underage drinking, and did not find anyone armed with a weapon inside the location at that time.”
Read more Overlooked retirement risk facing millions of savers
Greensboro is about a 90-mile drive northeast from uptown Charlotte.