NC moves to stabilize troubled Anson County elections office ahead of midterms
4 mins read

NC moves to stabilize troubled Anson County elections office ahead of midterms

North Carolina election officials say they’re stepping in to stabilize the Anson County Board of Elections ahead of November’s midterm election, deploying staff, tightening security procedures and pressing county leaders to provide the long-term support they say the office needs.

Read more Lake Norman sewage spill prompts no-swim advisory. Here’s the cause.

Speaking Tuesday in Wadesboro, State Board of Elections Executive Director Sam Hayes sought to reassure voters Anson County will be prepared for November despite losing two elections directors this year. The state’s intervention comes on the heels of former Director Neva Helms’ resignation after roughly three months on the job and the security, staffing and workplace concerns she raised in her resignation letter. While the investigation into those allegations remains ongoing, Hayes said the state appointed an acting director, deployed experienced personnel and begun addressing some of the issues raised during Helms’ tenure.

“The state board can provide assistance, training, oversight, operational support, but we cannot permanently replace the role of local government,” Hayes said. “Long-term success depends on a stable workplace, strong local leadership, and commitment to supporting professionals who administer elections every day.”

Hayes repeatedly emphasized that county governments, not the state, are responsible for providing elections offices with adequate personnel, facilities and financial support. While the state will continue providing staff and oversight through the November election, he said lasting improvements depend on local officials.

“We can’t do this in the long run from Raleigh,” Hayes said. “We need local folks to step up and fill these roles.”

To help bridge the gap, Hayes announced Tuesday that he is appointing Gerald Poplin, who previously served on the nearby Stanly County Board of Elections, as acting elections director until Anson County hires a permanent replacement. Personnel from neighboring counties and the state board will continue assisting the office in the meantime.

State officials also detailed steps they’re already taking to address security concerns inside the elections office.

Helms wrote in her resignation letter she learned restricted areas of the office could be unlocked using a cellphone and questioned who could access the building’s security system. On Tuesday, NCSBE Chief of Staff Brian LiVecchi said the state is working with Anson County to establish clearer policies governing who can access the building, ballots and election equipment.

County leaders have been “very willing” to help address the concerns, he added, praising both the county manager’s office and the sheriff’s office for their cooperation.

Read more Familiar eatery to replace closed Plaza Midwood breakfast spot. Here’s when

In her resignation letter, Helms also alleged inadequate staffing, repeated salary reductions and a lack of county support. In an interview with The Charlotte Observer after resigning, she said she felt overwhelmed trying to run the office largely by herself and decided to leave after a heated confrontation inside the elections office that led to her calling the sheriff.

Hayes said Tuesday that some concerns predated Helms’ arrival and credited her with improving the office during her short tenure.

“There were certainly things of concern that we learned of,” he said. “Neva did a very good job of organizing this office. She was pretty much staffing it by herself for most of her tenure here, and that was no small task.”

He also identified Helms’ feeling unsafe as one of the issues that most concerned the State Board.

“We were aware of some issues, but they certainly came to a head while she was here,” Hayes said. “One of the more concerning things is just the security. She didn’t feel safe here, and that’s why she ultimately resigned. We need to get our arms around that because everyone is entitled to feel safe to work.”

Hayes said investigators continue to review the allegations raised in Helms’ resignation letter, working alongside law enforcement where appropriate. While he declined to discuss specific findings, he said the State Board intends to release as much information as state law allows once the investigation is complete, though some personnel matters may remain confidential.

“I hope my concern is reflected in the fact that I’m here, and I’m here with most of my senior leadership team,” Hayes said. “I want to demonstrate to the people of Anson County that the State Board of Elections is going to stand behind you.”

Read more Which NC products made Southern Living’s Food Hall of Fame? Here’s the list

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *